Skip to content
  • Locations: Norwich, United Kingdom
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Calendar Year, Fall, Spring
  • Homepage: Click to visit
Program Description:
About the program Accommodations
About the city Dates and costs
Eligibility Immigration requirements


UEA map board

About the University of East Anglia

  • UEA is a highly ranked university of about 15,000 students.
  • The atmosphere of UEA is similar to that of Richmond in many ways. Both institutions are self-contained campuses, each located on the edge of the nearest city.
  • UEA has modern buildings and large open green areas, bordered by a tranquil river.
  • The architecture is unique (similar to the 1960s "international" style), and most buildings on the campus are registered as heritage sites that must be preserved as they are.
  • The campus is environmentally friendly. The buildings are highly energy efficient and many are partially earth-sheltered. The campus power plant runs on garbage that would otherwise go into a landfill.
  • There are major British banks, a post office, two bookstores and three restaurants located on campus.
  • UEA also has a sports facility for student use.
  • A city bus runs directly from the university to the city of Norwich.
  • Click here for a campus map.
UEA walkway

A network of elevated walkways provides easy walking between buildings.

About the city

  • The University of East Anglia (UEA) is located one and a half miles from Norwich (pop. 400,000), two hours northeast of London by train.
  • Norwich is proud of its medieval castle, cathedral and other buildings.
  • As of summer 2011, the Norwich City football club (soccer team) has been promoted to the Premier League so all of the big name clubs will be playing there.
  • Norwich has a small international airport, offering flights to continental Europe.
  • Norwich is not far from Stansted airport, a hub for discount flights to many destinations.
  • There is bus service from Norwich to the airports at Stansted and Heathrow.
back to top


  • Junior or senior year standing
  • Cumulative GPA of 3.0, but some flexibility depending on major
  • Note:  Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University to study abroad. Each applicant’s disciplinary record will be reviewed, and students must be cleared by the Office of the Dean of Richmond College or Westhampton College. Students on conduct probation will not be able to study abroad if their probationary period extends beyond the start date of their intended program.  Situations of housing probation and honor probation will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
  • Participation my be denied, or acceptance may be revoked, if a student's conduct prior to departure raises doubts as to his or her suitability for the program.
  • Robins School of Business students may transfer back credit from only one (1) business course taken while enrolled on this program to count towards their business degree.  Specific course approval must be given by Dr. Tom Cossé.  RSB students may transfer courses back from non-business subjects to count towards any non-business majors/minors and general education requirements (pending departmental approval) and towards the total units needed for graduation.
back to top


Subjects available

See UEA's course offerings. Some departments (called faculties) do not accept part-year exchange students. Exchange students may take courses in creative writing, English literature, American studies, film and media studies, art history, drama, economics, politics, international relations, music, sociology, European studies, biology, chemistry, microbiology, mathematics, physics, computer science, psychology and environmental sciences.

Notes on select academic areas:

  • Creative writing.   UEA is very strong in this area. Ian McEwan (Atonement) and Tracy Chevalier (Girl with a Pearl Earring) have ties to the university.  A literary festival takes place there each semester.
  • Museum Studies.  UEA is one of few universities with a program in this area.
  • International Development.  Students interested in working with international relief efforts, development agencies or NGOs will find useful coursework at UEA.
  • Japanese.  UEA's Centre for Japanese Studies offers a wide range of coursework (click on "Modules") related to the language, art, film and culture of Japan, and also runs a summer program focused on Japan.
Course load

The normal annual course load for a UEA student is 120 credits in a full year, or 60 credits in a semester. Richmond students should take 3 courses per semester. The chart below shows how UEA credits convert to Richmond units.

East Anglia
one 20-credit course
1.5 units
three 20-credit courses
4.5 units

Credit conversion to units

Please see this page on the website of the Office of the Registrar for an explanation of how academic credit earned abroad is transferred to UR.


Communication, drama, economics, journalism and political science internships are available to full-year exchange students. Students have been placed in theatres such as The Royal National, The Almeida, the Queen's, Shaftsbury Avenue as well as with film and television companies such as Renaissance and Merchant Ivory.

Tutorial system

Courses consist of both lectures, tutorials (seminars) and laboratory classes, where appropriate. Lectures are much larger than tutorials, which typically have 10-15 students. The tutorial is the traditional strength of the British university system. Participation in the tutorial is very important and can count for a significant part of the total grade. In most classes, students prepare and present a seminar paper.

Grade scale

UEA grade
UR equivalency
70 or higher A
65 - 69 A-
60 - 64 B+
55 - 59 B
50 - 54 B-
46 - 49 C+
44 - 45 C
43 and below
C-  to F (no UR credit)


back to top


UEA dorm 22

The major residence hall complex.

Students taking part in the UEA program are required to live in housing that is affiliated with the program.  Students may not take part in this program if they obtain housing of another kind.

Students who meet stated deadlines are guaranteed on-campus housing at UEA. Cost includes vacation periods. Exchange students are integrated with UEA students. All residences provide basic amenities. Single rooms are the norm. Rooms are fully furnished, including bed linen. All of the residence halls are equipped with shared kitchens where students prepare their own meals. Each residence has a self-service launderette. Students should bring, or plan to purchase while abroad, towels, pillowcases, sheets and kitchen utensils.  There are also several restaurants and cafes on the campus.

Click here for the University's accommodations site.

UEA dorm 2


Residence hall complex from the 1970s, known as the Ziggurats.

Dates and Costs

See Dates and Costs for East Anglia for program dates and a budget sheet for UEA.

Click here to read about scholarships for study abroad.

Since UEA is affiliated with the British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association (BUTEX), students approved to study there are eligible to apply for the BUTEX North American Scholarship.

NOTE:  Travel allowances, reimbursements, health insurance premiums and other payments above tuition costs paid by Richmond on behalf of its semester and year abroad students are available only to Richmond degree-seeking students accepted to participate on UR-affiliated abroad programs.

Immigration requirements

Citizens of the US and some other countries who study abroad for one semester may enter the UK with either Short-Term Student status or a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.  
You must obtain a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa if any of these conditions apply:

  • You will study in the UK for more than one semester
  • The British government always requires citizens of your home country to have a visa to study in the UK
  • You need to have a part-time job while on study abroad in the UK
  • You will do an internship (paid or unpaid) in the UK
  • It is likely that you will extend your stay in the UK beyond one semester

If both options are open to you, the OIE encourages you choose Short-Term Student Status.

Citizens of the UK, or of another country that is a member of the European Union (EU), or of the Economic Area (EEA), or of Switzerland, do not need a visa to study in the UK.



For additional information about this program, contact Chris Klein in the Office of International Education.

back to top

This document represents the most accurate information available at the time of publication. Statements contained herein are not contractual obligations, and verbal or other representations that are inconsistent with or not contained within the document are not binding. The University of Richmond reserves the right to change without specific notice programs and the conditions under which they are offered.

Updated March 2017